Who doesn’t love dressing up? There’s something about pretending to be something or someone else for the day that holds a level of excitement. For lovers of fancy dress, the best time of the year to become their alter ego is Halloween. For kids, the excitement is even higher as their little imaginations can run wild with the possibilities of what they could be. Studies have shown that role play can be a positive factor in a child’s cognitive, social, and emotional development.
However, mums and dads can sometimes have difficulty finding the time to get imaginative with their kid’s costumes. With the hallowed eve and the October midterm just around the corner, we are taking the stress out of the holiday and have made a list of some of 2022’s top kid’s costumes.
With today’s access to screens and video, there are more character costumes to keep on top of than ever. Here are some of the top-voted character costumes from this year.
- The Little Mermaid: with the live-action reboot of the Disney classic, Ariel is back on top as one of the most popular kid’s costumes this Halloween. What’s even better about this fancy dress outfit is that it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg, or in Ariel’s case, your voice! A red wig, some shiny blue fabric and some shells and you’re set.
- Paw Patrol: A definite favourite in our house are Chase, Marshall and Skye from Paw Patrol. You can opt to splash out here for the full get-up on amazon or choose to DIY it with some dog ears, and a cheaper Paw Patrol vest. See the full outfit here: https://www.amazon.com/Light-Up-Halloween-Costume-Jumpsuit-Backpack/dp/B099TYJ2VQ/?tag=cbs-news-20
- Top Gun: Maverick: Following the success of the latest Top Gun: Maverick film, little ones may want to recreate the suave onscreen characters. Grab yourself a green jumpsuit, stencil on some wing badges and pair with some shades and a cap and hey presto! Your little maverick is a Top Gun.
Although they have been doing the rounds for a few years now, these costumes have proved to be firm favourites each Halloween.
- Minecraft: If you have a gamer at home, chances are they will be building with the famous Minecraft cubes. Perhaps, a bit on the pricier side, you can find a Minecraft sweeper costume here: https://www.thecostumeshop.ie/costume-ideas/kids-minecraft-creeper-costume.html
- Minions: Easily recognisable is the yellow creatures from the Despicable Me franchise. This is an easy one to DIY. Some blue denim dungarees and a yellow t-shirt underneath, paired with some wide-frame glasses and yourself a minion. Bonus points for you and the rest of your family dress also dress as Gru, Agnes and the other characters!
- Unicorn: These mythical creatures are always a firm favourite with kids. Luckily, because of their popularity, much of your kid’s clothes are probably already adorned with the horned horsies. Make your own version with some pink and glittery clothes and DIY a horn from the cardboard from a toilet roll and it’s all rainbows.
If you’re a parent who loves to dress up as much as your little ones do, there are plenty of options for a group costume to choose from.
- Despicable Me: As already mentioned, an easy family affair this Halloween is to dress as the characters from the well-known Despicable Me franchise. There are a number of easily recognisable characters in this movie, all of which don’t require expensive ready-made costumes to recreate. If you have a large family, double or triple the amount of yellow little minions to your heart’s content and everyone can be involved.
- Scooby-Doo: Scooby- Doo has been a classic show for generations of kids and today’s batch are no different. Each of the characters has very distinct and easily recreated outfits. Whoever is lucky enough to dress as Mr Doo himself, simply source a brown t-shirt, some brown trousers and dog ears and Mystery Inc. is all set to fight the ghosts and ghouls this Halloween.
- Moana: One of the most popular animated movies to come out in the past few years, Moana has some easily recreated character costumes. Moana and Maui are some of the most distinct characters and could be a cute option for a daddy and daughter duo.